(Love this Pic!!! Awesome pic of a Interpreter -credit goes to Shyam)
*This person reminds me of my 2 fav Terps-M'Leah and Denise. ;)*
My first and second grade terp, now who is one of my GOOD friend who know me very well and wouldn't resist each other! We must try to see each other every time we are in Omaha or Lincoln, I even made few trips down to her home in Kansas City. One best thing, was her wedding I was able to help her few days before the big day. It was just the best gift and was in the wedding by reading 1 Corinthians 13:1-7 right before I became saved! Past in first grade she was like a big sister to me, I would tease her, joke around, and we still do today.
Throughout 3rd to 5th had different terps lost in touch with them, until 5th grade my own mother had to quit her job as Day Care and interpreter for me. Which I have be grateful for someone sacrifice their passion job for me. In 6th grade, I didn't have the greatest terp. 7th to Senior high school had three wonderful terps which I see every time I come home to visit my parents. They always love to pick on me and chat with me during dull times. Of course, I would tease them back and would show them I appreciate their work.
During my High School, went on trip to Washington DC for Close Up with Deaf program from my home state. Each workshops had their own terps. I happen to hit off with my terp, I still have no idea how it all happened. I guess I find myself attached to them and tired of my friends want someone new! Ha Actually, I just knew there was something special about her that would make a great friend and I was absolute right. We have been in touch since 2005, even made trips to see her and do our favorite things I.e hiking up Utah Mountains and explore what Salt Lake has to provide! I do wish she was my permanent interpreter or live closer! :)
When I arrive College, I was totally lost who I was because I had teachers that can sign, which I do not need terps. It was a new world for me in school. First 2 years was pretty rough for me try to get used to it until I finally had class my 3rd year with a terp I was thrilled!! I told myself I absolute need terps for my education because the way I was raised and taught by. This year at a different school I have terps FULL time, its just blessing and the best thing in my education I would say!! Haha.
According to why I love them... I've analyzed myself past few months who my true friends are and most of them are Interpreters. I also realize that I feel more comfortable around them because they are like into my world. I love it when they smile when they first meet me, that shows me they be a good Interpreters! Even I can easily push their buttons when it comes to times when I know they would be fun to chat with! (Most of the times they are!) Again I've raised all my life with terps less than my own friends, they've taught me how to be mature and be reality! I felt I've got little bit of terp's heart in my heart as well.
God is just amazing by putting those wonderful terps throughout my life and know what is best for me! Even for them for being there through hard times and happy moments, I just cannot Thank him enough and to those wonderful interpreters out there in the world who want to serve for us in the Deaf community!!
That is all I want to express about ASL Interpreters for now, yet there be more coming eventually!
<><
1 comment:
Lis,
How sweet :)
Post a Comment