Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Lobbyist Day

March 30th, I went on a field trip to Albany, NY for a Lobbyist Day for Domestic Violence advocate organization. That day was very informative for me and life experience into policy and politics related to domestic Violence and in general how the process works. We visited 6 local senators, unfortunately we were only able to meet with 3 of them and rest were with their assist or staff. We went into each office with group which was with my night classmates (picture shown below) and just discuss 6 main Bills related to DV that we wanted the Senators to sign and pass. It was pretty neat because we were able to bring our own voice and convince them to pass. Beside visiting the senators it was neat for me because I've been to Nebraska state Capitol, government offices, and met my senator and representatives back when I was in High School, but this one is in Albany, New York which is 2 times BIGGER than Nebraska.
(Classmates with our professor in purple scarf)
Doing a lobbyist for something that I have a interesting in advocating and it taught me how to be strong and be able to speak up about the issue. My focus was children abuse and neglect among Deaf and Hearing children, it was great to be able to give testimony to the senator or assist staff my opinion and hear my "sign" haha!(One of our Senators)
There were also protest going on while we were there, that day was the New York State Budget deadline. The senators had to be in meetings to decide what has to be cut or not cut. It was crazy and hectic there at the Capitol!!
(See those protestors even that kid... Wow!!)
It was also lot of fun along with Amanda, my wonderful interpreter and friend! We were able to end the day going out dinner with her dad and brother who live there. It was great to meet them! The worse part about this trip was the driving- total of hours drove both ways 8 hours or less.(Amanda and I)
What a day for all of us... we were totally exhausted by the end of night, we both even were able to sleep like a baby!! :-) I wouldn't mind doing this again but for something that I have high passion for like health for Deaf community and children health.

No comments: