Did you read the title of my post?! That's right I went into ED (Emergency Department - new name for Emergency Room (ER)) twice and ended up having surgery. Oh Joy!!!!
It was insane from Wednesday (Jan 11) to Tuesday (Jan 17th)-- Wednesday morning I started to feel nauseated;It felt like I had a stomach virus for about 30 minutes and had warned my aunt, who I was staying with in Omaha, that I wasn't feeling well. I decided to go back to bed to lay down and popped one of my gastro pills and all of the sudden my left side started to have terrible pains, thye had me on the floor they were so bad. I felt as if I had to throw up to get rid of the nausea in my stomach but the pain was too powerful. At that moment I knew it had to be a kidney stone because I had felt the exactly same pains 2 years ago while in Baltimore and had to go to John Hopkins hospital. So, I had to call out for my aunt, while I was texting my mom who, was apx. 3 hours away, that I was in server pain. An hour later the pain wasn't going away and my aunt decided to take me to the ED at Methodist Hospital 5 mins away. I was screaming in pain I couldn't even walk to the car I had to crawl. My mom called my younger sister who was 45 mins away to meet me there and to help interpret for me. While waiting to get into the ED (it was an extremely busy morning) I was screaming in pain-unfortunatly there were 2 gentleman there staring at me. Finally after half an hour later a nurse took me in while I was throwing up and the pain was still there. Got an iv going so they could get the pain killer into me.I was still in pain 20 mins later, so they decide to increase the pain killer and finally the pain reduced.They request a urine sample before giving me a CATscan, however I couldn't go because there was probably a stone blocking it so they had to put in acatheter just to get a sample. After getting the sample they took me into CAT- Scan and discovered I had 2-3 kidney stones in the left kidney. I remained in Fast Trac Care room till my parents arrived around 3:30. I was able to go back to my aunt's an hour later with pain killer pills to help.
The next day I was supposed to return to New York, but ended up having to cancel it which I was very grateful because I was not getting any better. Through out Thursday and Friday I was in mild pains in the same place, doctor told me to drink water and take pills when needed-I followed that. Ended up having the same severe pain on Saturday morning, went back to the ED and again back on IVs and retook the Cat- Scan (no catheter this time!) and found 3 or 4 stones were still there. They decided to send me home with higher mg of pain pill since there was nothing they could do about it.
Again I was still in pain on and off through out Saturday and Sunday. My parents and grandma came down to Omaha on Saturday after I was dismissed from the ED and it was nice to have them around till dad and grandma took off to a funeral Sunday in Kansas.
By Monday (16th) morning I wasn't getting any better so Mom decided to call an urologist office and was lucky enough to get in a right away. We went there met with the urologist, he gave me 3 options: try new pills, suffer through it or surgery. I was thinking for the past 5 days I was taking pills non-stop and I didn't want to go through that any more so we decide surgery was the best option. Also I was schedule to fly back on Friday 20th,so I preferred to feel better before leaving.I was lucky they were able to schedule a surgery right away for that afternoon. I went back home with a shot in the butt for the pain till surgery, OW!!
At 3:30 it was time to go into surgery,I had wonderful and helpful nurses and doctors around, which helped my mom feel more calm while she was interpreting for me. They took me into surgery to remove one stone and insert ureteral stent byUreteroscopy procedure. After surgery, I woke up from being under general anaesthesia in mild pain from the surgery in recovery room. Later they decide to put me into a regular room till i was able to urinate, eat, walk, and be pain free. I was still in pain from the surgery and had a difficult time urinating so they had me stay the night. About 7:30pm I was able to eat, I was very hungry since I had not ate for more than 24 hours. I had plain butter pasta and mashed potatoes (yummy!). I wasn't able to sleep through the night till 3-4am when I finally zonked out after the last dose of morphine and then woke up at 7am to go to the bathroom and decide I was strong enough to go home. I slept the rest of the morning and rested, mom, dad, and grandma were still around and also I had family come over to visit. Mid morning dad and grandma left to go back to Osmond while mom stayed till 2. She left after taking me for yummy cupcakes at Jones' Brothers.
| So sad went into the ER again! |
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers while I was going through this pain! They were much appreciate and definitely answered by our Father in Heaven along with Jesus who was stand by me all the way! :)
Wonderful information on kidney stones



No comments:
Post a Comment